Friday, October 13, 2017

Trying New Food

Well, yes, I admit I messed up. I honestly tried to do it, I tried really hard. See, the thing about me is that I eat a lot, not just a lot of food, but a lot of different foods. I just couldn’t think of something that I haven’t eaten, well I could, but the things I could think of were really exotic, maybe swordfish, or kangaroo from the wildest  part of Australia, and for some reason I don’t think it would be possible to get those food items.  It was Saturday night and I was explaining to my friends about my struggle. One of them suggested that I eat a napkin. I start to smile, this was a great idea, I quickly take a white square but then a thought comes to me, I’ve already eaten a napkin before. I’ve already felt its papery texture, the way it sticks the roof of your mouth. I’ve felt it slowly dry my mouth, and leave an odd tasting residue, no a napkin is not going to work.
Great now I’m right where I started, wanting to taste something new. I would ask my parents but they were both busy, my mom was taking 9 medical tests, and my dad was somewhere I assume. I was tempted to go outside and grab some dirt, but the way I played as a child I was bound to eat it at some point. I hen thought about plucking a leaf from a plant, but then I realized once again, I’ve done that already. There was nothing left for me to do, I was lost. I went to bed thinking about all the foods I haven’t eaten, and all the weird things that I have.
It was Monday morning; I totally forgot about my homework, I ate my eggs absent-mindedly, wondering what would happen. That serenity wouldn’t last me the day though, because as soon as my shorts touching the carpeted seat of my bus, I realized I forgot. I stayed calm, in times like these people tend to panic, so I calmed down and thought, oh well, I’ll see if my friends have something for lunch. As lunch approached I walked outside, and one of my comrades was eating a hamburger. The burger was laughing at me, mocking me for not doing the work. This assignment was a lot harder than I thought it would be, I decided that I should give up and hope for the best.
I walked to Kenny Gym slowly, curious as to what we would do in class. I knew I didn’t eat a new food, but it was too late to fix that problem. When I walked in we split into two groups, one for those that did the work and one for those that didn’t. My teacher took me and the other classmates that couldn’t find anything to eat outside of the room, and handed us a piece of Dark chocolate. Yes, I’ve had chocolate, but I’m more of a milk chocolate kind of person. The Chocolate she gave us was 85% coco. I knew this was going to be an experience that I may live to regret.
Oh, and was I so right. In my hand it was a solid brick, it smelled of a rich flavor. I took a bite, my mouth dried up, as if someone had stuffed my mouth with flour. The taste rammed into my mouth, with the power of an ox. It was too much, I looked down, and I needed to finish it. I took another bite, my mouth was begging for me to stop, my taste buds had put their weapons down and surrendered to the rich chocolate taste. I lunged for the water fountain, hoping to drive the chocolate out, and banish it from my body. I slowly limped back into the classroom, slowly recovering from my near-death experience. I learned a valuable lesson that day, stick to what you know. Just kidding, it was great trying something new, and I can’t wait to do so again, just as long as it doesn’t taste like shit.


5 comments:

  1. This post was very odd (in a funny way). I liked hearing the thoughts that went through your head when you were trying to find something new to eat. There quite a few foods that i have never tried and i always want to try them, altough ive never longed for a new flavor as badly as you seem to. You might want to try making unorthodox combinations of foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not at all like you. I'm not eager to try new foods and tastes. There are a couple of foods that I love the taste of and I just stick with them. I'm really steadfast about trying anything that I'm not familiar with. I liked your descriptive description on eating a napkin. When I was in the third grade, I tried eating paper (I have no idea why this thought even came to mind) and your writing captured that moment spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really into "adventurous eating". Once in China, I went to a fancy dinner and they were serving seahorse and turtle soup in these little clay bowls. As soon as I saw the seahorse I RAN out of the room (bad table manners, I know). On another note, I really do like dark chocolate. I've had 85% dark a couple of times, and I don't think it was as awful as you describe, but I prefer sticking with like 70%.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy trying foods, but not to the same extent you seem to. The thought of eating paper actually makes me a little bit queasy, and your detailed description did nothing to quell my unease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DESPISE trying new foods. For the last four years, I've ordered the chicken parm or the stuffed chicken marsala from Olive Garden. I refuse to try anything else because I hate being disappointed. I liked this post because you took the subject of trying a new food, a relaxed topic, and turned it into a serious, tense, suspenseful story.

    ReplyDelete